Monday, June 16, 2008

These are some of my favourite things…

Oprah, who doesn’t like Oprah? Well I’m more of a Dr. Phil man myself, but I’m sure you’ve heard of the lady. The other day on the news was a little, feel-good-end-the-doom-and-gloom-with-a-smile story that was all about how Oprah does this thing where she talks all about her favourite things and then gives everyone in the audience one of each. People go apeshit, screaming like their children have been given that fresh kidney they need to keep alive. Really over the top sort of stuff, but it got me to thinking, what are my favourite things at the moment? What is inspiring me, entertaining me or just making me smile? So without further delay, I will pass on my list of things in the hope of paying the inspiration forward…

1. Liam Finn – Liam’s new album is amazing and his live performance is even better. Good genes I guess – his dad is Neil Finn, the man behind Crowded House, Split Enz and the Finn Brothers.



2. Shihad – This Kiwi bands new album, “Beautiful Machine” is great, it’s a real departure in the sense that it is less heavy and more melodic then their previous efforts. A real high water mark for sure, check out the track, “One will hear the other.”




3. Little TV sets on airplanes – they are becoming more and more frequently found on long haul flights and are the best thing since free booze. If you haven’t seen them before, it’s a little TV that is mounted in the seat in front of you where you have a choice of hundreds of program options all on demand. To have the freedom to watch what you want, when you want to and not have to strain to look at some micro-screen 10 rows up to see the latest Mr. Bean slice of crap is awesome.

4. Hotel So – this new hotel in Christchurch is great. Minimalist design with all the modern conveniences that a traveler really demands. Free wifi, super-cool design to the rooms and oozing with style. Be sure to spend the night next time you are in CHCH.
http://www.hotelso.co.nz/Home

5. Moleskin Notebooks – One of these little leather-bound notebooks is always in my pocket. I use them when I’m on the road for work to research a destination and I always just have one close at hand for when inspiration or practicality strikes.






6. Timex Expedition Watch – simple, tough, retro-military style and cool. I love mine and wouldn’t give it up for anything.



7. GPS technology – as a cartographer and frequently nearly lost adventurer I love my GPS. It’s so cool to know exactly where you are all the time.


8. Bravo Two Zero By: Andy McNab – a great book about an amazing story. Caught behind enemy lines in Gulf War 1, pursued, captured and endured the un-endurable. I think of this story when I’m in a race or on a long run to remember that no matter how tough it gets, you can always endure more and this is nothing compared to what those guys went through.


9. Mojito’s – my summer drink of choice, best sipped with the Caribbean Sea lapping up onto your feet…
http://www.bacardimojito.com/default.aspx?recipeguid=91bb03d3-fc62-43e9-892e-0a424f6b7be3


10. Lock-on Mountain Bike grips – grips are grips right? Wrong. Forget peeling, stretching and cursing to get these grips off and on. Simply loosen the clamps at either end and slide them off. So simple, how did it take this long to think of it?


11. K2 Extreme Skis – in the mid 1990’s K2 Extremes were the skis of choice. Names like Scot Schmidt, Glen Plake & Mike Hattrip used them and inspired a generation. Now K2 has re-launched tem after 10plus years of retirement. The shape, specs, and everything is all new and improved but the graphics are the same as the old ones. It brought me right back and I almost bought a pair out of nostalgia alone…

12. iPods – you may have heard of this one. They’ve become pretty popular – to say the least. But can you imagine a world without them? I can’t and I don’t want to.

13. Good headphones – the white ones you get with your iPod are crap. Do yourself a favour and get a good pair and actually hear what the music is supposed to sound like.


14. The Dirtbag Diaries – this podcast is great, the insights into the outdoor world are spot on and the weekly narrative is extremely well done. I’m a big fan and I’m sure after a listen you will be too. http://www.dirtbagdiaries.com/


15. Banksie – Graf-artist extraordinaire, check out a previous blog posting on this site for more info and pics – he/she’s the man.


16. Radiohead – I love their music, but I love their attitude even more. They let you pay whatever you wanted for their latest album and when the record company wanted to put out a greatest hits album they didn’t want to because they didn’t think any of their songs were hits.

17. La Sportiva Fire Blade Shoes – I love my trail runners, they are holding up so well after heaps and heaps of wear. No stretching or sign of early death. Nice.

18. Orikaso – camp cook wear that you fold together like origami – practical and fun.

19. Pearl Jam’s live CD’s – for their upcoming tour the band is going to sell live bootlegs of the shows for $10 each online after each show. As much live music as you want, for cheap. http://www.pearljam.com/

20. Converse Chuck Taylor lowtops – classic. Enough said.

21. Olympus 750 Digital camera – it’s waterproof (I’ve taken mine snorkelling), crash proof, scratch proof and tough as nails. 7.1 mpx and about the size of a deck of cards. I take mine everywhere and I'm always stoked with the pic quality
22. Eats, Shoots and Leaves By: Lynn Truss – a book about punctuation that’s actually a good read? You bet, it’s a great laugh and you just might learn something along the way.

23. Zanzibar – this island off the coast of Tanzania, Africa is an amazing spot. Primo beaches, stunning architecture, interesting people all add up to a place that will always be high on my must-go-back-to list.

24. This Ikea Commercial –



25. i like watching people who are relaxed, chilled out and dignified...



26. and finally, this video. one picture every day for six years - wow


sorry there isn't some big gift in the mail - but feel free to leave comments on what you like, don't like, what i missed out on and what's inspiring you at the moment.

cheers!

Scott

2 comments:

Chris M said...

Oooh, the K2 extremes! Good call.
I was more of a Rossi 4S man, back in the skinny days, or the Dynastar Course with the red jelly pack on the tip.

My 'favourite' list would include:
Kim Mitchell;
Zildjian K cymbals;
Sharpies;
Titties;
and walleye sangquiches!

Scott Kennedy said...

my dad had a pair of Rosi 4S's - we always would debate on the merits of each - only to realize years later tat they were "exactly" the same...

mmmmmm sharpies - especially when they are fresh.

i should have also included:
fresh guitar picks
seared tuna
the 2005 Pepperjack Shiraz
and my Patagonia capaline shirt I've worn weekly for 15 years...

thanks for the comments...
S