Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Burning Man Evolution – Video

On the last day of Burning Man there was a strange feeling in the air. It felt like the morning after of a massive house party where there was little to do beyond clean up and try and figure out what just happened. The week was winding down and there was nothing me or anyone could do about it. The Man had burned and the Temple was set to go alight later that day, lost I walked from our camp and onto The Esplanade (the main street of Burning Man). In the morning haze and warming ambiance I saw my wife Sophie standing alone in the desert. She was lost in her thoughts and engaged in kinesthetic meditation. There is something simple, beautiful and wonderfully playful about hula-hooping. There she was lost in her thoughts when this song came on the stereo from the camp adjacent to ours. Teardrop by Massive Attack has always resonated at a deep level for me – there is something haunting about it that has always stuck to my soul. This version was a cover by a guy called Newton Faulkner and it just fit. It was the right song at the right moment with the right things happening right there and then. At that moment that song became the song of the trip – it is and maybe always will be my Burning Man song. When it came time to put together a film of my Burning Man photos and video – there was no need to even think about what song would back them.

This really was an amazing experience that affected me far more then I expected it to. I hope these images in some way convey what this experience was all about. Sit back and enjoy Burning Man through my eyes.




If you can't see this video - click HERE to go straight to the source.

No comments: