Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bryan Adams need not apply

In honour of being in Canada at the moment I thought I’d share a few of my favourite Canadian bits of art. Music and cinema are two of my fav mediums so that is where these two clips fall into. The first is the trailer for the spectacular film “Hard Core Logo”. This film hit the cultural scene a good 10 years ago now – but I can still remember the night I saw it at the old Uptown theatre in downtown Calgary. Bruce McDonald fused music, poetry, and the death of a dream transcribed over the Canadian landscape. Check the great Dead Boys cover in the trailer too. It is without doubt my favourite Canadian film – find it if you can…



The second video is a live performance for the band The Arcade Fire – "Wake Up" is an older tack of theirs, but it is one of their best. U2 used this song to get the crowd going before they hit the stage during their last tour – and that’s saying something!



As Mr. Neil Young, great Canadian, says – Keep on Rocking in the Free World.
SK

No comments: