Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tour d’Afrique – Giving Back


I’ve struggled for a long time to come to terms with my philanthropic strategy for my African adventure. My trip will pass through some of the most economically disadvantaged areas of the world – and there is no doubt that I want to do something to give back and help these people. And I want to encourage all of you to help. But where I encounter the rub, is the idea that I am somehow doing this trip for the sole reason to raise awareness or funds. To say that would be a lie, a lie that I couldn’t live with.

The first reason why I am doing this trip is for the pure adventure of it – when I first learned of the TDA I was blown away by the potential of it and that aspect hasn’t diminished one bit. This is wildest dream sort of neighborhood for me, this isn’t some exercise in deprivation for the sake of a charity cause. I’m not running laps at the local YMCA or starving myself for 48hrs to implore you to dig deep into your pockets and help those in need. I’m not going to strong-arm you into writing a cheque just because I’m going to ride my bike in forty degree heat. I’m choosing to do this; I’m not looking for your pity.

That’s not to say that I don’t want you to help out the cause – but I want you to help out for your own reasons. I want you to help those in need because it’s something you feel is important to do – not out of obligation. Too often charities do little more then open up their hands and ask for cash and offer too little in the way of accountability. Likewise, expeditions funded under the thin veil of charity head to the far corners of the globe to fight disease, but the reality of a fully funded expedition looms just below the surface. I’m not going to go down that road and I don’t want you to follow me.

The charity I’m working with on this trip is the Tour d’Afrique Foundation. Every year they raise funds to by bicycles for doctors, outreach workers, teachers and others of influence in need of transportation. With these bikes, these valuable members of the community can get into the far reaches of the countryside and help those in need of their specialized brand of help. It’s a fantastic charity that I hope you’ll support, for the simple fact that they are doing amazing work for those truly in need. It is my goal that through my adventure and the telling of the tale I can encourage you to see the value in this charity. It’s a fantastic organization that is really making a difference for those who really do need outside help in order to survive.

Have a read of their website and do what you can, not for me, not for you – but for them.

http://www.tourdafrique.com/foundation/projects.html

sk

No comments: