Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Soundtrack

When I write I listen. I can’t imagine writing in silence. The other day I was chatting to another writer friend of mine and he was telling me that he can’t have any sound in the room when he is writing. If there is so much as a tree rustling outside he is pulled out of the zone. I couldn’t be more different. As I write this there is a stereo blasting away. So what do I listen to? Is it haunting atmospheric lyric-less epic soaring pieces that conjure up the final moments of Lord of the Rings? Err, no. it’s all about loud rock and roll. It’s my firm belief that what we write as a reflection of what we hear – I want to write with impact, melody and strive to get your mental toe tapping. If I listen to Enya – you get baby food. These same tunes often shape my adventures – I make play lists for my ipod and they form the soundtrack to the trip. So as I was riding in Africa I had a power-playlist, when I needed a pick-me-up, a mental shot of espresso I hit play. When I got home and wanted to retell the tale, I hit play again and I was back there once again. So if you really want to feel what my ride was like, have a read or go for a ride with these tunes playing in the background. Hit the title for a youtube link to the song.

Bodysnatchers - Radiohead (song of the moment for me right now)
Sure Shot - The Beastie Boys (hey I'm a child of the 90's)
Good Life - dDub (this is a link to a video I made using this awesome track)
Let It Die - Foo Fighters
Midnight Voyage - Ghostland Observatory (this video was made by my good friend Chase Jarvis - check out his great blog here)
Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet (crap video, but the best audio i could find)
Elementary - Lucy's Fur Coat
Comatose - Pearl Jam (such a fun song to play on the guitar!)
Corduroy - Pearl Jam (another fun one to play)
Beautiful Machine - Shihad (great looking video from a classic Kiwi band)
Little Bones - The Tragically Hip (some classic Canadian rock from back in the days when Rob still had really long 80's metal hair - hold on a sec...)
Baba O'Riley - The Who (classic song from one of the best)

Thanks for listening.
~Scott

3 comments:

Sharif said...

If I listen to Enya – you get baby food...

good one!

Anonymous said...

That Bodysnatchers video is one of the best vids I've ever seen - it's so simple and yet draws you in. I thought they were showing some weird one-frame subliminal shots when they cut from one band member to another, but it was just very fast wipes for the shots... tricky.

Scott Kennedy said...

it's a great clip eh! i like the security camera style footage - very low-fi. great tune too!