Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The moment

Things have been pretty quiet on the Blog front. There are a couple of reasons for that. First up the Winter Olympics were on – as a good Canadian boy I did my patriotic best by sitting on the edge of my seat for two weeks straight. The moment where Canada clinched the Gold Medal in men’s ice hockey was a moment I won’t soon forget. Every Canadian boy (and girl these days) grows up playing hockey with their friends on frozen ponds and community rinks from coast to coast. We all imagine ourselves in the skates of our heroes – in the clutch situation where one goal, one save, one moment will change the world. We have the commentary playing in our heads as we streak down the wing get the pass and, “He Shoots – He Scores!”

Sidney Crosby had those same fantasies as a boy. Like all of us he lived that moment a thousand times over. All those early morning practices and hour upon hour spent on the ice all built up to one moment. The difference between Sidney and all the rest of us is he lived his dream. Seven minutes into overtime he streaked down the left wing, got the pass and scored a goal that changed everything. When I was a kid, when I was on the community rink, in my mind I was Wayne Gretzky. Right now there are kids from Victoria to St. John’s who in their mind are Sidney Crosby, scoring the game winning goal in overtime. On Sunday evening a legend was born.

Have a look at this great video shot in downtown Vancouver at the moment the goal was scored. The living room I watched the game - all the way down in Queenstown, New Zealand – had a very similar feel with the other ex-pats that gathered to share the experience. I love the Sikh guy with the maple leaf turban dancing with the drunken shirtless guy – multiculturalism at it’s best!



So what’s the other reason why this blog has been pretty quiet? Well you’re just going to have to wait another couple of days – the big reveal is on the way... Watch this space!

No comments: