Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It’s business time….

Have you ever run into a friend who you haven’t seen in a few years and they ask, “What have you been up to?” and the answer to the simple question is anything but simple?

So what have I been up to lately? The simple answer is I’ve been having the time of my life! On the 15th of March Sophie and I were married in Beechworth Australia – it was a tremendous day filled with joy, laughter and fulfillment. We were lucky enough to be able to share our day with family and friends from all over the world. People made the journey from as far as Canada to be with us on the day. It was one of the most gratifying experiences of my life – to have people come from so far for Soph and I is an experience that is difficult to conceptualize. All I know is that I will forever be grateful and thankful that so many people were there on our wedding day. It was a beautiful service, a tremendously fun reception and a day I will never forget… click here to see some photos of the day.

Still awash in the glow of married life I’ve returned home and to the desk to exciting times on a professional level. For the last year or so I’ve been stuck right into work for Lonely Planet and at long last the fruits of that labour are about to hit the shelves. Lonely Planet’s Canada is days away from being in the bookstores. You can order (or pre-order) it directly from the Lonely Planet web page – click here to check it out.

For this book I wrote the Alberta & Saskatchewan chapters. It was a real trip to write about the areas of the world that shaped me into the person that I am today. It was a fantastic experience, one that I relished. I poured that passion and pride of my home turf into the writing, and for that I’m most proud. The text came out exactly as I had hoped for and I’m stoked to have my name attached to what is going to be a great guidebook.

Other exciting news on the publishing front I story that I wrote has been selected to run in a new Lonely Planet travel anthology titled, Flightless: Incredible Journeys without Leaving the Ground. As you can guess the concept are stories about journeys that don’t involve the use of an airplane. This sort of idea is most definitely right up my ally! I don’t want to spoil the surprise about my chapter, but safe to say it was the story of a great adventure that really opened my eyes onto what is possible, or close enough to possible that it’s worth trying. The book comes out in August and some of my co-authors are of some note, both by literary reputation and by their adventurous achievements! Closer to the time of release I’ll be a bit more forthcoming with information, but for the moment you can call this the teaser trailer!

But before that hits the shelves I’m going to be neck deep into my next project for LP – I’ve just signed up to write Cycling New Zealand. I’m super excited to sink my teeth into this project, it’s going to be a magnificent book that is going to be a hoot to put together. Unlike most of the LP projects that I’ve worked on in the past, I’m not just writing chapters for this book – I’m the sole author. This means it my ship to sail – the workload will be much greater then anything else I have ever done, but at the end of the day it will be my book. So I’ll be spending a good bit of time on my bike in the next few months, touring around NZ, checking out the good spots and reminding myself that I am working. I start working on that in a few weeks, so between now and then I’m going to get right into some other projects I’ve been simmering on for a while (watch this space!)

I’ll leave you today with my favourite quote, something that I think about every day, and in the past few weeks has come to mean more and more…

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

- T. E. Lawrence


Have fun out there!
~Scott

1 comment:

Chris M said...

Dude,
Congratulations on the wedding, it sounds like you have a pretty full life happening right about now in all aspects.
Maybe someday, I'll come out for a visit.