Thursday, August 7, 2008

You think you had a bad bus ride???

Hello blogland,

Well it’s been quite a week – I’m back in New Zealand and consequently back into winter. If you haven’t experienced that hemispheric instant change of seasons I highly recommend it. I got on a plane in Calgary Canada and it was 25c and after way too many hours walked out of the Queenstown NZ airport to snow on the mountains and temperature’s hovering around zero.

Two bits of news in the world this week have really captured my interest. The first is the story about that crazy guy in Manitoba who stabbed his fellow Greyhound Bus passenger with a “Rambo” knife and then decapitated him for good measure. It’s been said before, and will bear another repetition, “That was so fucked up.”

People in Canada are pretty spun out about the whole thing – there are the usual knee-jerk calls for increased security in bus stations and a general feeling of fear towards public transit. Apparenttly, according to one source the victim crossed the imaginary line between him and the killer who was sitting in the seat beside him. I know next time I fall asleep on a plane I’ll be sure to keep my limbs folded in tight – I’d hate my neighbour to, well you know, do the old lord of the flies thing to me…



In a strange and somewhat horrifying turn PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) has released an ad on their website comparing the bus killing to how we treat animals. Holy-bad-taste-Batman! That’s not exactly how you win the hearts and minds of potential donors to the animal rights cause! I’m a vegetarian and an animal fan, but in my opinion this is taking things just a tad too far - PETA wants to run the same ad in Manitoba newspapers, It will be interesting to see how that transpires….

For more look here: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/08/06/peta-mclean.html?ref=rss
And for PETA’s response: http://www.peta.org/MC/NewsItem.asp?id=11786

In far more happy and enjoyable news Google has come up with something pretty damn cool – it’s called Street View and it’s quite the fun toy. It’s a new feature on Google Maps where you can type in any address in the States, Australia or Japan and look at an image of the structure taken from street level. Think of it like Google Earth, but rather then the overhead view, you can look straight into the curtains! Check it out, it’s good fun…





Have a look: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca&tab=wl


Have fun out there and remember stabbing fellow passengers isn’t nice.
SK

No comments: