Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Let's do this

I’ve been having great fun with my photo of the day project so far. It’s been a great exercise in creativity. There are no excuses, no; “I’ll do it later” it’s now or never. What’s got me really excited about it today is that a good mate of mine from Canada has decided to also start his own version of the project. Chris Marchand and I go way back – circa 2001 I was living in Fernie, BC generally avoiding work and getting some unreal ski days in. Chris was a scribe and shooter for the local weekly rag where he waxed lyrical about town council meetings and playoff hockey. We both had a passion for shooting photos, stringing good words together and skiing deep powder. Since that time Chris has moved back to his ancestral home of Northern Ontario – where in fact I have family roots too. He’s still writing and shooting (none too many ski hills though) for the local paper. He’s also a keen blogger on all things cultural and cool. His blog Hinterlands is part of my daily read and is well worth checking out even if you don’t know where the hell Dryden is (don’t worry nobody knows…)

Be sure to check out his blog and his photo of the day project – he knows his way around a camera… I thought you might be interested in this exchange the two of us had regarding lifestyle, X-Box, photo of the day and pork products….

Chris: I'm stealing this Photo of The Day idea from my dear compadre Scott, who is running a double marathon up and down some big mountains on the south island of New Zealand. I'm worried about him and his increasingly masochistic behavior. Remember, this is a guy who raced his mountain bike across the better part of Africa in 45 degree heat a few months back. Blah, blah crave the mental challenge, blah blah, push myself to the limits, blah blah I do yoga in the sauna, blah meat is for savages... Scott, do you even know what Call of Duty 4 is? Battlestar Galatica? Hmmm? What about pork rinds and cool whip together at last? Life is passing you by, my friend.

Scott:
I guess you just called me out on this one. I’m happy to throw the gauntlet as far as the photo of the day project – it’s an interesting process that is a serious money-where-your-mouth-is creative process reality check. Though I chuckle every time I use the money where your mouth as turn of phrase because I assume that it is a reference to prostitution, but I digress… I see that you’ve posted a photo from last year as your first photo of the day – I’ve gone with the idea that the photo must come from that day – are you up to the challenge?… l look forward to following along with what you come up with.Ok Sega, Dungeons & Dragons, food Homer Simpson fantasizes about. Yes I could wax lyrical about the joys of hardship and the need to realign ourselves with a more primordial archetypal existence where there is more of an emphasis on self awareness rather then the dominate post modern need for self gratification. True I don’t know the joys of adding cool whip to any part of a porker but I think there is room for a balance of both philosopher and pseudo-adolescent. No I don’t have an x-box, but I do have enough DVD’s to open a shop, I have a twitter account and I count Project Runway as my guilty pleasure (I would so turn gay for Tim). Nor am I some 21st century new age metro sexual – I like loud rock, shooting guns and the feeling of splitting a log when you get it in one chop. So what am I on about? Fuck, I’ve got no idea – perhaps I’m just knackered from running two marathons on Saturday. I think I need to lie down in front of the TV watch my Criterion Collection edition of Point Break, drink enough red to forget my legs fucking hurt and meld into the couch like some dehydrated Jabba The Hut. Perhaps you’re onto something…

Chris:
Intially, I was pretty sure that in my case, photo of the day would always have to be archival, though I guess I see the point of your creative endeavor now.Okay, motherlover, I accept your terms. Let's do this.

Scott:
Bring. It. On.

No comments: