Thursday, May 21, 2009

Where are you go?

Strange title, I know. It’s not mine, you can’t blame me. This rather odd moniker is referring to a new film I’ve just seen the preview for. Regulars to this blog will know all about my adventure on the Tour d’Afrique earlier this year. This film was made by some folks who did the ride last year – I’m really looking forward to seeing the final product – based on the preview, it looks great.



So what of the TDA? Where are they now? The team rolled into Cape Town last week and after some 12,000km they have reached their mighty goal. Though my part of the expedition ended quite some time ago, my thoughts were rarely far from my comrades toiling in the heat, sand and jungle of Africa. By all accounts it was a true life altering experience for all involved (including me). Friendships were forged, new definitions of endurance were discovered and life outlooks were changed forever.

Here are a few words from my good friend Paul Porter’s blog, “If you are like me, you will struggle to find meaning to what you experienced as you traveled across Africa. A colleague here at the University recently asked me “what significant incite (or is it insight – or both?) did you gain from your trip, especially as it pertains to your work?” I stammered a bit and realized I had real trouble articulating what I had gained that is of value to me and to the University I work for. It is there, but not easy to articulate. It is easy to say it was a great experience, that I met a lot of nice people and saw a huge diversity of agriculture. But that seems less than the full story. Perhaps I just need more time to digest the experience. Perhaps, if I don’t make the effort, I won’t take the time to fully digest the experience. I should take the time to make the effort, and so should you."

Click HERE to read the rest of Paul’s poignant, touching and eloquently articulate post about his TDA experience.

So now my friends of the TDA will rediscover their lives at home. They’ll learn to shower every day and sit still for the first time in months. Some will hang their hat on this experience as a high water mark in their lives. Others will use it as a vaulting platform to inspire themselves for the next adventure and the one after that. I hope that many will fall into the latter category and I think they will.
S.

No comments: