Friday, October 17, 2008

Sudan – isn't that the place with all the AK-47’s?

As I’ve been preparing for my bike adventure in Africa and chatting to more and more people about it, there is one commonality with the folks I talk to. There mere mention of Sudan congers up feelings of trepidation. Just the name sparks visions of poverty, civil war, genocide and extreme heat. All of those descriptions are true. There is no denying that Sudan is a wild place, there are areas that are definite no-go zones and areas where personal safety and living conditions are maybe too intrepid for anyone who doesn’t have a former SAS soldier as a travelling buddy.

Now let’s be clear, I love adventure, I love challenge and I love shattering predisposed assumptions of destinations. BUT, I’m not stupid. I’m not going any place that I’ll be in any more danger then walking on the street in New York City, catching a taxi in London or riding my bike in Toronto. But there is no denying that it is going to be a very interesting place to travel through – I can’t wait to experience it and do my best to convey what it is like, to all of you.

Have a look at this video – for a taste of what we are all in for!

3 comments:

hackpacker said...

hey scott, thanks for your kind comments over at hackpacker. i'm just getting back into it after finnish interuption.
this sudan trip is looking like... fun. hope nz cycling is going well.

Jamie said...

Hi There

I did the ride last year at it was amazing. We had the coldest winter in 30 years through Egypt and Sudan and with no warm weather cycling gear it was a challenge. Enjoy each day of the adventure...you will see things only a few ever get to see..and you will be challenged in all ways...mental...physical and spiritually...but each day does come to an end and you do get off the bike...mind you you do then lie in your tent...or sit on a stool but it is worth every pedal push. Enjoy and I look forward to following your progress.

By the way some people trained for the year before and some trained by riding...the first day out of Egypt is a killer if it is a head wind as we had so be preapred...but ENJOY!

Scott Kennedy said...

Cheers Jamie!

i had a read of your blog and found it really interesting and very inspirational!

i can't wait to get to Africa and get underway!

thanks for the support and encouragement.

cheers
Scott