Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 1

By the time I actually got on my bike I would have walked on glass to start this ride. I’ve been planning and prepping this ride for months so to actually be under weigh way fantastic! Staying with Aunt Betty-Ann and Uncle Peter was great; they showed me some fantastic hospitality and really helped with my prep work – Thanks guys!

At about 9.30 this morning I loaded up my bike, said a quick goodbye and without too much fanfare I was off. Leaving Burlington I stayed along Lake Ontario for a while, before turning inland and starting the journey west. The first challenge was the Niagara Escarpment – a series of rolling hills that for the topography of the area. It felt good to stress my muscles; it had been so long I had started to wonder if the early signs of atrophy were on their way. The weather was warm and the winds were light – perfect riding conditions. The km’s added up quickly and I was already near 100 when I stopped for lunch. I can tell already that I’m going to get pretty bloody sick of subway sandwiches before the end of this. The afternoon was much the same – roiling hills and nice weather.

After 120km I thought it was about time to start to look for a place to stay. A quick enquiry told me that a few km down the road was a nice campground. By the time I got there I had clocked 143km for the first day. I’m stoked, that’s a pretty big number off the bat. I feel pretty good too, not all that sore (yet). Timing was impeccable, no sooner had I set up my little tent-tarp the havens opened up. It was epic rain, Noah sort of rain. Much to my relief and surprise my gear stayed dry during the 30min downpour – phew.

It was a great day and a fine start to this caper – let’s hope the good fortune continues!

Recap:
Distance - 143km
Location – 10km north of Mount Forest
Accommodation – tent
Beard status – wispy bum-fluff
Sign of the day – “The Hockey Sushi Restaurant”
Song of the day – Wake Up – Arcade Fire
Photo of the day – yellow fields, grey skies.

No comments: