Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 2

Last night was pretty grim. The rain stopped before I went to bed, but my tarp/tent was pretty cramped. It’s a new system for me, so I’m still figuring the best way to pitch it. It was too low and I had no room to move. There was this light in the campground that I assumed would get turned off at some point – yeah right. It was spotlight city all night long. I woke up several times through the night – I was cold. Fuck, this is supposed to be the warm part of the ride. That’s the second bike tour in a row that I’ve been cold at night.

I was so happy for dawn, just to be able to get up and get going to warm up. By 9am I was on the road. It felt pretty good from the start, no ill effects from day one. Another nice day, warm and sunny with no wind. It was the sort of day to make tracks – and tracks I made. I was feeling good and decided to push the boat out. The wind turned and became a light tail wind – it was all the push I needed. I got after in and by the end of the day logged 172km. it was a HUGE day in the saddle. 312km in two days – big numbers to start things off.

I’m in a little town called Tobermory – it’s at the very end of the Bruce Peninsula. It’s a charming little place with boats in the harbor and a maze of jetties all about. Tomorrow I’m taking a ferry across the Georgian Bay to Manitoulin Island – a bridge connects the island to the mainland, on the north. So this will be my sole boat trip on my whole tour. Time for bed – it’s been a long day.

Recap:
Distance - 172km
Location - Tobermory
Accommodation – hotel
Beard status – patchy with sunscreen impregnation – I call it the young Santa look
Song of the day – Beautiful Machine - Shihad
Photo of the day – the big chair

No comments: