Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 6

today's ride profile

The ride from Iron Bridge was pretty straight forward. Happily my knee is definitely on the mend and I was able to really push it today. Yesterday I ran into a cyclist going across Canada in the other direction. It’s cool, every day I see fellow riders heading the other way – though I’m yet to pass of be passed by anyone heading west. Anyway I was chatting to this fellow and he suggested a place to stay in Sault Ste Marie. I assumed that I’d go beyond Sault and camp a bit further down the road.

The suggested place was in the back yard of a bike shop owner who welcomes cross country cyclists with open arms – not charging a dime to set up camp on his lawn. By the time I got to Sault I was ready for a break and a bite to eat. I was planning on riding for another 50km or so beyond town.

As I was sitting having a fish burger I heard the first bit of thunder. Not impressed I craned my neck to the sky just in time to see the first volley of thick rain start to fall. In seconds it was pouring. The sky was black as night and it showed no sign of letting up. All of a sudden a stop here was looking more and more attractive.

Beside the burger joint was a cheap hotel and a block over was the bike shop. For a moment I ummed and awed about what to do – then another crack of thunder struck and the rain ratcheted up another notch. Free is cool – getting soaked just for free accommodation is a bit much, even for me.

The hotel was perfect – there’s nothing better then sleeping inside when it’s absolutely pouring rain all night.

Recap:
Distance - 120km
Location – Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Accommodation – hotel
Meal of the day – fish burger with thunder on the side
Beard status – I look like Swayze in Point Break
Song of the day – Take Back the City – Snow Patrol
Photo of the day – the moose


No comments: