Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 11


Today was supposed to be easy, supposed to be flat, supposed to be a pre-lunch cruise. As they say the path to hell is paved with good intentions. When I started I was already tired – the excessive mileage from yesterday was already taking its toll.

Up and down again – less then the days previous, but hilly none the less. With only 25km to go before Thunder Bay I was climbing a steady hill when a bug flew right into one of the air vents in my helmet. I wasn’t sure what sort of insect it was until the wasp stung my forehead. By the time I stopped and managed to get my helmet off it had stung me a second time. I screamed obscenities into the wilderness – the trees said nothing in return but the yell seemed to be somehow cathartic.

There was nothing to do but keep going.

I rolled into Thunder Bay around mid day and headed to one of the older hotels in the heart of the city. I parked my bike out front and walked into the lobby – sitting at a computer checking his email was my old friend from my African ride, Graeme.

We had a great day catching up on old times, telling stories of bygone adventures, friends in far away places and plans for the future. We ate and talked for much of the
day. Tomorrow Graeme will head east on his way to St. Johns and I will continue west.

Recap:
Distance - 100km
Location – Thunder Bay, Ontario
Accommodation – hotel
Beard status – “Dude, what’s with the beard?” – Graeme
Song of the day – The Good in Everyone - Sloan
Photo of the day – Scott and Graeme

No comments: