Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 10


After a relatively easy day yesterday I decided to push it out a bit further today. The morning was chilly with light rain. Much to my annoyance I had to climb the 4km hill from town back up to the main highway. Once I hit the highway things improved quickly – within 15minutes I passed a large black bear hanging out on the opposite side of the highway. It’s fair to say that we surprised each other about equally. I stuck to my side and she stayed on hers. We gave each other a good look as I passed by and I went on my way.

Hill after hill the day melded into the previous few. Steady grind up, fly down the opposite side. The k’s added up and the clouds cleared to make for a warm sunny day.

In the end I rode a new personal best of 190km. I was knackered but pleased. I stopped for the night in the micro town of Nipigon. Far from an aesthetic place the most redeeming feature was the snicker factor of the fact that I stayed in the very dodgy feeling Beaver Hotel.

Recap:
Distance - 190km (PB)
Location – Nipigon, Ontario
Accommodation – hotel
Beard status – Vote for Pedro
Song of the day – Beautiful Day – U2
Photo of the day – The Beaver Hotel


No comments: