Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 12


There is an interesting psychological idea that the human body can only endure what it perceives that it can. Self imposed limits dictate the level of endurance that a person has. The best example of this is the idea of going for a 5km run – when you get to the end you are tired and glad the run wasn’t a km further. The same person could go for a 10km run and come to the same conclusion. So what happens when there is no preconceived end point to a run or a ride? What happens then with that mental barrier that says, I can go no further is removed? Today I found that answer.

After a great catch-up with Graeme last night I turned in early – I knew today was going to be big. My plan was to head west from Thunder Bay towards the town of English River, along Highway 17. I wasn’t planning on staying in English River – I have family in the small town of Sioux Lookout, about 90min north of there. Instead of the lengthy detour, deviating from my east/west route, my cousin Lori was going to meet me on the road and drive me to Sioux, where I’ll stay for the weekend and get ready for the push west.

The day started warm and clear – mist on the lake and a few clouds in the sky. By 11am I had already clocked 100km and felt great. By early afternoon storm clouds were brewing to the west and by 1pm it was raining with the ferocity I have not seen since being caught up in Hurricane Olga in the Caribbean a couple of years ago. It was like the end of the Matrix. Chubby rain fell with such volume that it flooded the ditches and reduced visibility to feet. It was almost too heavy to ride in – almost.

The plan was for Lori to leave Sioux Lookout at 3pm and head east on the highway – likely running into me at around 5pm. By 3pm my speedo was reading 150km for the day. It suddenly dawned on me that I could really be in for an all-time day. I geared up and went for it. For cyclists there are certain benchmark distances that resonate – 100km, 150km, 160km (this equates to 100miles or a century as it’s often referred to) and 200km. I had within my grasps the ever elusive 200km mark for the day. I’d never ridden that far and the fact that I was feeling strong – despite the rain, only encouraged me on.

At 4.30pm I crested 200km for the day. It was raining so hard I didn’t dare get my camera out to snap a photo of the speedometer. I assumed that Lori would be along shortly and decided to keep pedaling – it was keeping me warm in the driving rain and there wasn’t much else to do.

At 5pm I was at 210km and no sign of Lori. I was starting to get a little worried – even though she wasn’t late I was starting to think about a million and one variables. What if her car breaks down? What if in the sheet rain she doesn’t see me? The idea of riding and riding and riding all night was a nagging noise in the back of my head. Unsure of what to do beyond pedaling for however long it took, I just kept going.

At 5.15pm Lori pulled up beside me, rolled down the window and asked if I wanted a ride. I most definitely did! I’d ridden 216km for the day – far and away a new distance record for me – adding 26km to my previous PB only two days ago.

So could I have ridden further? Definitely. Did the fact that I didn’t actually know when the end was help with that? Definitely. Interesting stuff.

So now it’s time to chill out for a few days, catch up with my extended family and leave my bike well enough alone until Tuesday when I continue westward.


Recap:
Distance - 216km (new PB)
Location – Sioux Lookout, Ontario
Accommodation – cabin by the lake
Beard status – “nice playoff beard.” – Lori
Song of the day – The Depression Suite – The Tragically Hip
Photo of the day – Storm Clouds



No comments: