Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The List



It seemed to be a common denominator, whoever I met as I was on my bike ride would always say, “wow, you don’t have a lot of stuff!” it’s true I went mega-light, but I did have all that I needed. So I thought I’d show you what I took and point out some stuff that was in the ‘must have’ category.

L to R top to bottom
1 – Marmot ultralight rain jacket
2 – Mountain Equipment Co-Op Drifter +15 sleeping bag
3 – Thermarest Z-Lite sleeping pad
4 – Patagonia zip-off trousers
5 – Mountain Hardware fleece shirt
6 – Specialized Cycling shoes
7 – Pearl Izumi Cycling jersey
8 – shower cap from hotel (used to cover handlebar bag in rain)
9 – toothbrush (with handle cut off)
10 – Integral Designs SilTarp
11 – water bottles (x2)
12 – Canon HD Video Camera
13 – tensor bandage
14 – Patagonia Capaline boxer shorts
15 – zip-ties
16 – MEC arm warmers
17 – Seal Line 20L Drybag
18 – Giro bike helmet
19 – Icebreaker Superfine wool t-shirt
20 – Ibuprophen
21 – Solio Solar charger (charges iPod, Cell phone, GPS, etc.)
22 – camera case
23 – passport
24 – extra tape for video camera
25 – extra battery for video camera
26 – sun glasses
27 – 8GB USB stick
28 – Petzl Headlamp
29 – Canada flag
30 – maps
31 – micro bike lock
32 – 10m of cord
33 – camera battery charger
34 – tent pegs (x4)
35 – solar charger cables
36 – cell phone charger
37 – iPod Charger
38 – Garmen Etrex Legend CX GPS
39 – cell phone
40 – iPod
41 – handlebar bag
42 – Pearl Izumi bike shorts
43 – sunscreen
44 – Pearl Izumi Bike gloves
45 – Icebreaker running socks
46 – MEC mini dry bag
47 – cycle computer
48 – bike lights
49 – Leatherman
50 – hand sanitizer
51 – extra screws
52 – tire levers
53 – spare break pads
54 – eye glasses
55 – reflective vest
56 – energy bars
57 – Buff headscarf
Not pictured – Canon G9 digital camera, Gary Fisher Wingra touring bike, ASUS Eee PC 8.9" netbook laptop compter and case, flipflops, Chafe ease cream, bike tool, extra tube, patch kit.

So what were the most valuable pieces of gear? The shower cap was invaluable, the iPod kept me sane, the GPS kept me on track, the good quality bike shorts were worth every cent.

What didn’t I use? Cell phone charger, USB stick, lights, spare break pads.

Total weight – 22lbs (not including bike)

That’s it and that’s all. Other then a few extra bits and pieces that I didn’t use, I was super happy with everything I brought. I wasn’t left wanting anything and wasn’t ready to ditch anything in the bush along the way.

No comments: