Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 13

Lucky 13. after a nice break it was time to hit the road again. My cousin Lori and my uncle Gord gave me a ride back to the highway. My first task of the day was to find a bike shop in Dryden to fix a broken spoke. While I was in Dryden I had the chance to catch up with an old friend and fellow blogger Chris Marchand. Chris is the author of the awesome blog Hinterlands – I’ve referenced it plenty of times in the past and it’s part of my daily read. Chris and I go way back, we were great friends back in the Fernie, BC days – circa 2001. We had a great catch up after nearly a decade apart – funny how good friends pick up where you leave off.

The inertia of the rest days, catching up with friends and chilling out was a tangible presence as I started to ride. It was 1pm by the time I was on the highway and heading west. The plan was to head to Kenora – 135km to the west. As soon as the highway swung to the west the wind turned up to full volume. I won’t wax lyrical about it too much, but the short answer was that it sucked. It sucked for a long, long time.

Near to dark I finally arrived in Kenora, tired and over it.

Recap:
Distance - 135km
Location – Kenora, Ontario
Accommodation – hotal
Beard status – “wow, you really do have a playoff beard.” – Chris
Song of the day – Alive – Pearl Jam
Photo of the day – Bigfoot

No comments: